Monday 8 August 2011

Party Time

As I mentioned in an earlier post I’ve been rather busy of late catering for a few birthday celebrations for the grandchildren.

The first one was for my youngest grand-daughter ‘Tizan’ for which I baked a variety of different snacks, both sweet and savoury. I then received a phone call from one of the guests, "Those cheese scones you made were gorgeous! Will you make me some please?" ‘Yes, no problem, of course I’ll make her some’ and proceeded to do so.

Why my daughter particularly wanted some cheese scones for her youngest daughter's birthday bash I’ll never know. But I baked what was requested, no questions asked. Ours is not to question why, but merely to question how and why not!

Co-incidently the following day whilst I was exiting the local Co-op I was shouted over by a large lady sat in a car in the car park, "Pete, come here, I want a word with you!" ‘Oh s**t!’, I thought, ‘What have I done now?" I recognised the lady, my second cousin’s wife who was also at the birthday bash, "Them cheese scones you made were bloody lovely!" , is what she wanted a word with me about. ‘Thank God for that, I’m not in trouble after all!’ I thought. "Thanks for the compliment!" was about all the words I could muster.

My point is this; if you are careful and do your stuff to the best of your ability then the compliments will come your way. I love getting positive comments and rave reviews about my cooking, it give me a great sense of achievement; and although my feet were aching from being stood in my kitchen all day when I did the baking – I might have gumbled a little but the compliments made it worthwhile after all.

On a final note, the first person who commented about those damn scones has since placed a regular order for them and a few other home-baked things (coconut tarts and lemon bakewells) for which she pays me handsomely for my effort. So it all makes it all worthwhile and might be the start of a little earner of a sideline.

Wish me luck!



No comments:

Post a Comment